• Salah Elbaba


The qualifications required to teach abroad.

If you are wondering what qualifies you to teach in the Middle East or China - look no further. This article will explain everything you need to know:

Strict Requirements

A work visa for the Middle East and China is issued by the relevant Ministry of Education; they have very strict requirements and regulations that govern this process and schools and agencies have no say on these regulations. It is critical to us that teachers we work with meet these requirements before we present them to our schools so that there will be no issues with the formal work visas down the line once contracts have been accepted.

No Diplomas

Despite diplomas being accepted in South Africa, no diplomas (4yr or 1yr) are accepted for these work visas; certificates are also not acceptable even as a ‘top-up’ to a degree.

What You Need

In order to be considered for a position at a mainstream school in the Middle East or China you must meet the following minimum requirements:

  • A Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) , or

  • A Bachelor of Arts (BA) with a postgraduate certificate of education (PGCE)


If you do have one of the above qualifications, you must have majored in a phase (i.e. early childhood development, foundation, intermediate or senior phase) and you must have 1-2 years of experience teaching the phase you are qualified for.

We would like to stress once more, that these regulations are not set by SA-Recruitment but the Middle Eastern and Chinese governments.


+27 21 100 3145

SINCE 2004

With hundreds of teachers placed abroad in the Middle East and China.

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Pinterest Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon

- Mainstream Teacher Recruitment

- Facilitation of Visa & Document Attestment

- Teacher Placement Assistance

Read our Terms of Use here.


Sign up for our monthly newsletter and receive updates on our vacancies and important info on teaching abroad.